High Chief (Dr.) Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs, OON, DCF, DSSRS, Iniikeiroari V of Kalabari Kingdom, Paramount Head of Oruwari Briggs House of Abonnema, renowned Nigerian elder statesman, politician, entrepreneur, philanthropist and patriarch was born on May 22, 1930 in Abonnema, Akuku-Toru Local Government Area of Rivers State. He passed into glory in Accra, Ghana on December 27, 2018.
Since then, eminent Nigerians, business associates, friends, family and well-wishers from far and wide have stormed his residence in Port-Harcourt to condole with his family. They have been received by his wife, Dr. Mrs. Sienye Lulu-Briggs.
On the 30th of March, 2019, the Asantehene of Ashanti Kingdom, Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II bid farewell to his best friend, High Chief (Dr.) O. B. Lulu-Briggs in Accra, Ghana at a memorial at the Chapel, Transitions Place. The Asantehene was represented by Nana Susubribi Krobea Asante, Dr SKB Asante, the Omanhene of Asokore Traditional Area in the Ashanti Region.
It was clear that High Chief O. B. Lulu-Briggs was a man whose reach cut across many nations to touch lives. His generosity knew no creed, tribe or status. People flew into Ghana from Nigeria, United Kingdom, United States of America and other parts the world just to grace the occasion.
Below is a list of dignitaries at the event :
- Nene Nagai Kassa VIII, Chief of Agomenda-Shai; The former Governor of Greater Accra; The former Ghanaian Minister of Information and Tourism; Hon. Mike Gizo and his wife Doreen.
- Former Nigerian Ambassador to Brazil; Chief Dr. Patrick Dele Cole.
- Eze Ndigbo Ghana HRM Eze (Dr.) Chuks Ihenetu and his cabinet.
- HRM Owo Ajero of Ijero Kingdom, Oba Joseph Adebayo Adewale and Queen Christiana.
- HRM Oba Olojudo of Ido-Ile Ekiti, Augustine Aderemi Obaleye.
- HRM Oba Alayegunle of Ayegunle Ekiti Johnson Folorunso Aderiye.
- HRM Oba Obajisun of Ayedun Kwara, Olusegun Abayomi Rotinu.
- Obanla High Chief Abiola Ogundokun.
- High Chief Saade of Ijero Kingdom, Rufus Olayiwola Faladu
- High Chief Ojise of Ijero Kingdom, Babatunde Babalogbon
- Amayanabo of Okpo, King Diamond Tobin-West
- Chief Obrasua Ernest Briggs, Secretary Oruwari Briggs Council of Chiefs
- Mr. Francis Murray-Bruce…..just to mention a few.
Rev. Father Eric Owusu, led the service. Venerable Dubem Okwuosa, gave the opening prayer. Pastor Peter Bawo delivered the eulogy. Pastor Emmanuel Oarhe gave the homily. Jerry Adjorlolo was the Master of Ceremony.
After the farewell worship service, guests proceeded to the Ghana residence of High Chief O. B. Lulu Briggs for a very colourful and refreshing reception.
Close friends of High Chief (Dr.) O. B. Lulu-Briggs spoke highly of him at the reception.